Passing along an updated report from our work on online retailers with deep dives on AMZN, W, and ETSY. A good deal of interesting developments and insights in this deck.
Open Report:Bespoke – Online Retailers Vol 29
- Grocery Delivery (Amazon Fresh and Whole Foods) saw a large influx of new and returning users. A good deal of the behavior projects to stick post-Covid.
- Amazon customers, especially Prime members, have really noticed delays in shipping. The majority understand and still are more satisfied with shipping than customers of competitive sites, but 30% of those who noticed delays are trying to find items on other retailers (namely, WalMart).
- Prime memberships are flattish q/q. Increases by rural and higher income respondents were offset by declines in the 18-29 year-old and under $50k crowds. % contemplating cancelling is low, but unemployed, urban, and lower income are relatively more likely to cancel.
- Spending feedback is mixed. Confidence to Spend overall declined and in some cases we saw an increase in the % of users of platforms who said recent spend declined. However, spend mix overall is shifting online.
- The % of users of different platforms who expect spend to increase with each platform going forward went up.
- Wayfair trends are constructive q/q regarding mobile, platform features, and engagement. However, customers are still finding identical items on Amazon and are more likely to say Amazon was cheaper.