Passing along our quarterly feedback on a large number of casual dining establishments with an extra deep dive on Covid impacts / outlook. Please let us know if you have any questions.
Open Covid Summary:Bespoke – Casual Dining Covid Summary
Open Restaurant Specific Raw Data File:Bespoke – Casual Dining Excel
- Cooking at home is up considerably.
- Overall usage of casual dining relative to last quarter and last year worsened.
- While all appear to be impacted, some establishments have been…
- More resilient / less negative: KFC, Wingstop, Popeye’s, Popeye’s, Pizza Hut, Domino’s
- Less resilient / more negative: Cheesecake Factory, Wendy’s, etc.
- Usage of food delivery apps has increased, and an increased percentage of those who order casual dining via food delivery apps say the deliveries are incremental (ie, are orders they WOULD NOT have placed anyway).
- Popeye’s continues to get credit from customers for recent menu changes that they like, as does Starbucks.
- It will take some time before consumers are comfortable dining at restaurants again. The majority say seeing that cases have totally subsided or getting vaccinated would make them feel comfortable.