Passing along the 19th volume of our work on department stores. Please let us know if you have any questions.
Open Report:Bespoke – Department Stores Vol 19
- Clothing purchases have been significantly impacted by coronavirus and stay-at-home orders.
- Lower-income respondents, in particular, were less likely to have made a clothing purchase in the past month.
- Online shopping for clothes has shown sequential increases for most retailers (Amazon is still the leader but pulled back q/q and y/y).
- Sentiment toward department store channels ticked down a touch relative to February readings.
- Sentiment toward product selection worsened q/q at department stores in our survey.
- Macy’s was the top department store called out by respondents who made an online purchase of clothing in the past month after being offered a discount by a retailer or brand they like.