Passing along results to our survey of 175 restaurant owners and general managers. Our goal was to scope restaurant kitchen equipment spend plans, business expectations, re-opening plans, and re-hiring expectations. Please let us know if you have any questions about the report.
Open Report:Bespoke – Restaurant Owners and GMs Report
- Restaurant Capex Plans Have Been Negatively Impacted.
- Respondents primarily buy new, but expect to rely on used more in 2020 than 2021 and 2022.
- Respondents primarily buy from Webstaurant and Restaurant Depot and prefer Hobart, Kitchenaid, and Vulcan most.
- Owners are expecting to spend less on maintenance and repair in 2020.
- Restaurants expect to be under full capacity for a while, around 10-13% may permanently shutter.
- The length of time before “back to normal” will significantly impact capex spending decisions.
- 80% of restaurants reduced hours or laid off staff (25% of these owners think employees will want to remain on unemployment).
- 76% of restaurants expect revenue to come in lower in 2020 and the expect revenue to trend lower than normal throughout 4Q21 (expecting big losses in 2020).
- Restaurants expect to shift more production in-house this year.