We added a number of new lines of questioning this quarter:
- Coronavirus Fears
- AMZN Returns via Kohl’s
- How Customers Will Respond To Macy’s Store Closings
- Do Those Who Use Free Same Day and Free One Day Buy Items on Amazon More Frequently?
- TJX and Nordstrom Rack Cross-Over
Open Report:Bespoke – Department Stores and Branded Apparel Vol 18
Key Takeaways and Key Charts:
- Amazon customers who use free same day shipping and free one day shipping buy items at a significantly greater frequency than those who do not (the impacts are greater than those who only use free two day).
- 17.1% of those who made a return to Amazon in the past three months did it at a Kohl’s. The majority of returners made a special trip to Kohl’s to make the return (85.1%) and ~70% browsed items at Kohl’s while they were there.
- 43.8% of Macy’s customers said they would shop Macy’s more online if the location near them closed. 26.0% said they would shop other retailers instead, with a plurality saying they’d go to Kohl’s more (16.3%).
- Sentiment toward all retail channels in our survey series improved sequentially. Off price remains the top performer in terms of consumer sentiment. Branded apparel showed nice improvement q/q.
- Popularity perceptions are being driven on the positive side by price/value and on the negative side by channels being “too expensive” or “online shopping” taking share.
- Consumers show concerns about the Coronavirus, but not excessively. Impacts to their behavior are minimal at this point.